Skip Navigation

Haswell Church

Location

Information

The Church is situated about 1/2 of a mile from the junction of Church Street in Haswell with the B1280. It stands back from the road on the left hand side just opposite the Community Centre.

The present Church was opened on 9th December 1990 by the Rev. Noel
Catheral who had served in the old Thornley Circuit in the early 1950's.

This building stands on the site of the old Wesleyan Chapel (1849 - 1989) where Peter Mackenzie was converted. He was born in Glen Shee in Scotland, came to Haswell in 1845 and worked as a miner. After his conversion, he became a local preacher and in 1858 passed his examinations to become a minister in the Wesleyan Methodist Church. He had a wife and two daughters, only one of which married. Her son became a preacher in the Gateshead Circuit, his surname being Snowball. Peter Mackenzie died in 1895 and was buried at Dewsbury in West Yorkshire.

The present church is much smaller than the one it replaced, seats 40 in comfortable chairs, but the membership is only 7. When it opened, two societies merged, one from Church Street and the other from the church at Haswell Plough. Both societies had worshipped together in the local Community Centre. Haswell is a small ex-mining village. On 28th September 1844 an explosion in the pit killed 95 men and boys, but the mine did not close finally until 1895. It was the first colliery to have steel ropes fitted to the cages. The daughter of Karl Marx wrote a poem entitled "The hundred men of Haswell".

At one time Haswell Village had two Methodist chapels and one Anglican
Church, St. Paul's which is still open. The village of Haswell Plough had one
Methodist chapel and one Anglican Church, both of which have closed.

Timetable

For further information about the church or baptisms/weddings/funerals please contact the Rev. Christopher Wood-Archer on 0191 377 0230